Geneva Steel was built to increase steel production for America during World War II. President Franklin D. Roosevelt had proposed opening a steel mill in Utah in 1936, but the idea was shelved after a couple of months. After the attack on Pearl Harbor, the United States entered into the war and the steel plant was put into progress. In April of 1944, Geneva shipped its first order. It consisted of over 600 tons of steel plate. 

Geneva steel brought thousands of job opportunities to Utah. The positions were hard to fill as many men were overseas fighting. Women began working, filling 25 percent of the jobs.

Geneva Steel

Because of the fear of an airstrike attack on the steel plant on the top floor of the Veterans Memorial Building, which is now the Hutchings Museum, was used as a lookout post for any signs of an air attack on the mill. 

After the war, Geneva Steel was sold and continued to produce steel until it closed permanently in 2002. Geneva was the largest wartime project financed by the United States.  It was in what is now known as Vineyard, Utah.

As a result of Utah’s and Geneva Steels’ contribution during the war, several Liberty Ships were named in honor of Utah including the USS Joseph Smith, USS Brigham Young, USS Provo, and the USS Peter Skene Ogden.

Geneva Steel was put in the spotlight in 1984 when it was used as a set in Footloose. 

Come visit the Hutchings Museum to see the first pour of Geneva Steel and to learn more.